The Future Transport Technology Roadmap
The Roadmap will align with the outcomes of Future Transport Planning to form the Future Transport Strategy, a 40 year strategy for planning transport to meet the demands of predicted population growth in NSW. More information about Future Transport Planning.
Transport for NSW has developed this Roadmap to put NSW at the forefront of adopting new and emerging technologies to unlock value in our system, and to customise and personalise transport services.
Five strategies will be executed with the aim of shaping the most customer-centric, innovative, digitally-enabled transportation system in Australia. Transport for NSW will:
- Develop and connect real-time digital information, navigation, payment and engagement platforms
- Transform mass transit networks to improve efficiency and service frequency, and reduce transit times
- Foster shared demand-responsive services to give customers greater choice of mobility options and flexibility
- Pursue national standards for the road infrastructure, systems and regulatory frameworks needed to adopt greater levels of vehicle automation earlier, and identify how best to deliver community benefits
- Create intelligent transport networks managed with data that enable increasingly efficient, flexible and dynamic service delivery with improved safety, availability, reliability and responsiveness.
The NSW Future Transport Technology Roadmap sets the next step ‘no regrets’ initiatives – those that will add value to our services, regardless of how the future plays out, and the longer-term enduring technology ‘game changers’.
To implement the Roadmap, Transport for NSW will transform itself to adopt the practices of technology leaders in other sectors:
- Innovative solutions will be co-developed with a broad range of industry partners
- Where needed to enable early and safe adoption, planning and regulatory frameworks will be flexed, and rules and standards amended
- A Transport Digital Incubator will be established to cultivate a ‘global hotspot’ for transport data sciences
- Transport agencies in NSW will also change how they work internally, developing new capabilities, changing business practices and driving cultural change so that innovative technology-enabled solutions can be delivered sooner, at lower cost, and with greater benefits for citizens across the state.
Give us your feedback
Following publication of this Roadmap, we will engage further with industry and stakeholders to gather feedback and suggested refinements, along with recommendations on how best to execute the initiatives.
Your input and feedback is now invited in the period to 31 January 2017, after which this Roadmap and a 2017 Implementation Plan will be finalised, and work will be programmed.